History: Valley Fruit
Valley Fruit company was created in 1928 by J.H. Wiliams and his step-son Rey Weir who began their careers in a small garage in Pharr, Texas.
Over the next ten years, Mr. Williams purchased a 14-acre lot at 724 N. Cage Blvd. in Pharr, Texas in 1939, anticipating the need for more space.
The Valley Fruit and Vegetable Co. Building was built in 1947 enabling the Valley Fruit and Vegetable Co. to become the major packer and shipper of grapefruit in the world. The Food Bank of the Rio Grande Valley purchased the building in 2008.