The City of Pharr takes allegations of fraud in government seriously.
Fraud is an act of dishonesty intended for personal gain resulting in a loss of city taxpayers’ dollars. Sometimes the way people act might suggest that they are committing a fraud. These signs are called ‘red flags‘.
‘Look for the ‘Red Flags’:
- Missing inventory or physical assets or using city vehicles, equipment for personal use.
- Unjustified wages or time on the time clock.
- Abuse of sick leave, workers compensation.
- Transactions taking place at odd times, odd frequencies, or involving unusual amounts or to odd vendors.
- Internal controls or city policies that are not enforced, or often compromised by higher authorities
- Missing, duplicate or altered financial documents.
- Inconsistent, vague or implausible responses arising from inquiries.
- Common names or addresses of payees or customers.
- Collusion among employees, where there is little or no supervision.
- One employee has control of a process from start to finish with no segregation of duties.
- Audit findings deemed to be errors or irregularities.
Please use the form on the right if you suspect or have witnessed fraud or call (956) 475–3499.