Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (JAG) Program: FY 2019 Local Solicitation
(CFDA # 16.738)
PROGRAM ABSTRACT 2
Name: Jose A. Luengo, Chief of Police- City of Pharr Police Department
Title Project: SmartBoard Technology Project
Federal Amount Request: $14,013
Applying Category: Law Enforcement Program
Proposed Time Line: October 1, 2019 – September 30, 2020
JAG funds may be used for state and local initiatives, technical assistance, training, personnel, equipment, supplies, contractual support, and criminal justice information systems for criminal justice that will improve or enhance Law enforcement programs. The top five identifiers associated with this project are: 1) Communications, 2) Equipment – General, 3) Computer software/hardware, 4) Officer Safety, and 5) Geo-mapping, etc.
The goal of this project is to purchase four (4) SMART Board 7275 Pro series interactive flat panel with iQ and SMART Meeting Pro for officers training and meetings interactive technology to better catch criminals.
It has been well-documented and highlighted that crime-fighting technologies and innovations are the foundation of law enforcement’s capabilities to prevent better, solve, and control border centric crime. Using SMART Board interactive whiteboard system, you can write or draw over the projected computer image in digital ink using a pen tray pen or your finger, and then save these notes to a notebook file or directly into any Ink Aware application.
The proposed stated objectives for the Pharr Police Department are:
- To improve patrol and investigations team meetings, case briefs or class instructions using touch screen Smart Board screen.
- To increase training efficiency and planning a SWAT mission and execution of warrants.
- To expand access to information from the Smart Board in their patrol cars.
- To enable users to install and use in the internet and social media applications (i.e., Skype, iCloud-based applications) for real-time collaboration and logistics during hostage situations or active shooters.
- To increase community functionality, SMART boards would be mounted in several training rooms for interactive communication.
We will place the Smartboard on specialize room, it would be equipped with crucial pads control all audio/visual equipment projectors, providing smooth interfacing between the Smartboard systems. Also, computer inputs, LCD projectors, and recess mounted electric screens were integrated to facilitate discussions or to train better.
The following output/outcome indicators will be notable milestones in quantitatively evaluating the program’s effectiveness in due course:
1) # of SmartBoard TV and projector purchased,
2) # of Interactive Team Meeting Conducted, and
3) State-of-the-art SMART Board permit users the ability to explore new teaching horizon for case briefings.