Minimum standards for hiring qualified applicants are as follows:
1) Be a United States Citizen
2) Be a High School graduate or passed a G.E.D. test accompanied with 12 semester credit hours from a accredited college or university with at least a 2.0 grade point average.
3) Possession of a valid (Texas) driver’s license.
4) Be eligible for licensing by the Commission of Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education.
5) At least 21 years of age and not have reached their 45th birthday.
6) Be proficient in reading and writing the English language.
7) Meet all physical agility requirements.
8) Eligible applicants must meet the following conditions:
a) Must not have been convicted for any offense of a class B misdemeanor or above in the last 10 years;
b) Applicants that have been arrested on felony charges and not convicted may not be considered;
c) Applicants that have two or more separate moving traffic violations in their driving record (prior two years) may be disqualified;
d) Never been convicted for family violence;
e) Has not been discharged from any military service under less than honorable conditions;
f) Bi-lingual applicants (English & Spanish) will be given special preference;
g) Applicants that are licensed police officer will be given special preference.