Pharr PD Unveils Innovative Policing Strategy, Core Values, and Social Contract Aimed to Foster Positive Community Relations
Pharr, Texas – A few months into his tenure leading the City of Pharr’s police department, Chief Andy Harvey’s priority has been to strategically lead the department’s force by example, modeling a unifying and respectful leadership style to unite the department into implementing systemic and sustainable positive change. With law enforcement across the country recently taking the spotlight in the public realm, leading discussions regarding social justice, criminal justice, and policing, Harvey’s approach aims to shift the paradigm of the relationship between law enforcement and the community by creating a culture of compassion among the city’s police force.
Earlier this week, the Pharr Police Department adopted and celebrated the launch of the department’s new policing strategy, core values, and a social contract that will serve as guiding principles for every decision made by Pharr law enforcement – from administration down to patrol units and community policing.
After months of strategic planning, discussing, and fine-tuning, the Pharr Police Department unveiled its newly-adopted mission, vision, core values, and social contract with the Pharr community.
The adopted core values comprise the department’s C.A.R.E. philosophy, will guide all aspects of individual and collective decisions made as representatives of the Pharr PD, and are as follows:
- Compassion: The Pharr Police Department will create partnerships with our community and serve with respect and dignity.
- Accountable: Develop community equity and mutual respect while promoting innovation, self-development, and community wellness. We shall enhance and protect the quality of life for all who live, work, or visit the City of Pharr.
- Resilient: Develop strategies with stakeholders to address the challenges and demands of our community, while addressing the overall well-being of our officers.
- Excellence: We aim for excellence in everything that we do. We hold ourselves to the highest standards of ethical conduct by setting the example and having the moral courage to defend the constitution and uphold the law.
“We know that in order to lift up a city up in the way we police, we must have a strong set of core values. Fairness, dignity, and respect must start from within as part of our guiding principles and culture. Our social contract holds ourselves accountable for our actions and helps us strive for excellence – going above and beyond – in everything we do.”
– Pharr Police Chief Andy Harvey
Pharr PD’s new mission statement reads, “The Pharr Police Department values the constitutional rights of all people, and will create collaborative relationships built on trust, which will reduce crime, fear, and enhance quality of life.”
The social contract adopted by the police department, the first of its kind in Texas and likely one of the first developed in anticipation of, in response to, and to prevent potential negative public perception of law enforcement agencies, represents the commitment that the department, command staff, officers, investigators, and support staff have to pledged to the community of Pharr, and reads as follows:
“The members of the City of Pharr Police Department agree to be professional, honorable, and supportive in their influences with each other and to our citizens by encouraging a positive, caring environment through valuing the constitutional rights of all people, and creating collaborative relationships built on trust, therefore, reducing crime, fear, and enhancing the quality of life.
The members of the City of Pharr Police Department agree:
- To succeed in our mission through our core values: Compassion, Accountability, Resilience, and Excellence; and
- To hold ourselves, and each other, accountable and give 100% to our mission; and
- In the event of conflict we agree to address issues promptly, discreetly, and one-on-one. We will listen openly, be factual, give feedback, as we seek resolution. We agree to accept responsibility for our actions, be understanding of the other person’s concern, and show compassion for each other; and
- To wok together with mutual respect, and if necessary, seek mediation through the chain of command.
The members of the City of Pharr Police Department pledge our support for this social contract and devote our efforts in our daily interactions with our service to the community.”
At the announcement of the new policing strategy and social contract, held on November 10, 2020, members of the Pharr City Commission were on hand to present a proclamation honoring the department’s efforts and recognizing Chief Harvey and the department for their efforts to address challenges and opportunities head-on by adopting this forward-thinking philosophy. Mayor Pro-Tem Bobby Carrillo and Commissioner Daniel Chavez praised the department for rising to the occasion and setting an example to be a model law enforcement agency that will work to proactively address issues and concerns and meet them head-on with a positive attitude and core values that will remain at the forefront of every decision made.
“This is just another way that the City of Pharr is moving forward in a positive way. It takes courage to do what you do. The city of Pharr community can be happy to know that there are police officers with good hearts and good values to keep them safe.” – Commissioner Daniel Chavez
For more information regarding the Pharr Police Department’s new strategy, mission, vision, core values, and social contract, visit https://youtu.be/z_LodTWsUmw.