HIDALGO COUNTY ISSUED A 90 DAY BURN BAN EFFECTIVE JANUARY 28, 2009
Open burning can only be achieved with an authorized Burn Permit. There is no charge for this permit, however certain regulations and guidelines must be followed. Burn Permits are good for the day requesting to burn and authorization must be granted on a daily basis, by a representative of the Pharr Fire Department. Burn Permits are issued on weekdays and weekends from 8:00am -1:00pm.
Regulations and Guidelines
1. Burn permits are issued for the open burning of trees, brush, shrubs and limbs, solely for the purpose of land clearance. All Trash Burning is Prohibited.
2. Authorization to burn will only be granted when the wind speed does not exceed 10 miles per hour or when the wind is in the direction that will blow smoke and burning away residential or exposed areas.
3. Once permission is granted, no burn permit shall be left unattended for any period unless fire has been completely extinguished.
4. The burn permit site and the materials to be burned are subject to inspections at any time by any officer of the Pharr Fire Department.
5. Each person or resident shall be responsible for providing adequate safety precautions to control the open fire.
Ø Gasoline shall not be used to ignite burn pile (s).
Ø Residential burn piles shall be located a minimum of 50′ from all structures and approximately 300′ from public roadways.
Ø Commercial burn piles shall be located approximately 300′ for all structures and approximately 300′ from public roadways.
Ø All burn piles shall be completed extinguished before sundown.
Ø Any person or resident obtaining a burn permit does so at his/her own risk and in no event shall any liability or damage be imposed upon the representative authorizing the permit, the Pharr Fire Department or the City of Pharr if damages and/or injury are sustained as a result of any burning.
Failure to comply with any provisions of this permit and/or its applications may results in the loss of future burning privileges and/or issuance of a municipal citation charging the applicant with direct violation of City of Pharr adopted fire code International Fire Code 2003.
To request an open burning and Burn Permit Application contact us at:
Pharr Fire – Rescue
Fire Prevention Division
118 S Cage Blvd., 3rd Floor
Pharr, Texas 78577
Tel: (956) 402-4400 / Fax: (956) 475-3433
or download a Burn Permit Application (882 downloads)