The Civil Service process is completely different from our regular job postings. Applications are only accepted when we have vacancies. Please check back regularly for updates and further instructions.
If you are interested in becoming a Police Officer or Firefighter with the City of Pharr, there are some minimum requirements you must meet. You can see if you meet them by selecting the appropriate link for the position you are interested in before an opening becomes available.
Fire fighter – Minimum Requirements
- Achieve a minimum passing score of seventy (70) percent on the written civil service entry exam.
- Successfully complete the physical ability test as prescribed by the Fire Department and approved by the Commission, demonstrating the applicant is physically capable of performing the essential job functions for the position of Fire fighter.
- Pass a background investigation and polygraph.
- pass oral interviews.
- Successfully complete a post-job offer physiological examination and medical examination that includes passing a visual acuity test and physician certification that the applicant is not dependent on and does not use illegal drugs or misuse legal drugs.
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age and not more than thirty-five (35) years of age at the time of hire.
- Be a graduate of an accredited high school or have an equivalency certificate.
- Have a valid Class B Texas drivers license withing 90 days of hire or after completion of Fire Academy.
- Be a citizen of the United States by birth or naturalization.
- Be able to read, write, and speak English fluently.
- Be of good moral character.
- Preferably possess a certification as a basic firefighter, as established by the Texas Commission of Fire Protection, or eligible to become certified at teh time of appointment. At or before the time of entrance examination, applicants shall provided either (1) evidence of certification, issued by the Texas Commission of Fire Protection, or (2) evidence of current enrollment in basic recruit fire training academy approved by the Texas Commission of Fire Protection.
Peace Officer – Minimum Requirements
- Be a United States Citizen by birth or naturalization
- Be a High School graduate or G.E.D. with 12 completed college hours with at least a 2.0 grade point average
- Possession of valid (Texas) driver’s license
- Be eligible for licensing by the Texas Commission of Law Enforcement
- At least 21 years of age and not have reached their 45th birthday
- Be proficient in reading and writing the English language
- Must meet all physical agility requirements
- Eligible applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Must not have been convicted for any offense of class B or class A.
- No conviction of any family violence offense.
- Must have not been convicted of felony offense.
- Applicants that have been arrested on felony charges and not convicted may not be considered.
- Applicants that have two or more separate moving traffic violations in their driving record (prior two years) may be disqualified.
- Bi-lingual applicants (English and Spanish) will be given special preference.
- Applicants that are licensed police officer will be given special preference.
If you have any questions, please call the Human Resources Department Civil Service Division at 956-402-4100 for assistance.