Greetings to our City of Pharr residents, businesses, visitors, and community!
Welcome to the City Manager’s office. On behalf of the dedicated men and women at the City of Pharr, I want to welcome you to our incredible city. Our committed leaders, supportive staff and progressive ideas are leading the city toward a successful and prosperous future. We are dedicated to providing you with the transparency, respect and the highest quality government services that our citizens deserve.
The City Manager’s office is responsible for implementing the Pharr City Commission’s policy decisions and initiatives, providing leadership and guidance to department heads and other staff, as well as working with both the City Commission and staff to develop action plans and programs to support the City’s mission, values, and priorities with the overall goal of improving our citizen’s quality of life.
The City of Pharr prides itself on continuing to invest in our community through the development and expansion of our parks, roads, services, infrastructure, and economic development. We have expanded educational, recreational, and entertainment opportunities for our citizens and remain focused on “building a better future” for our future generations.
Pharr is a city dedicated to the progress and success of our community and we are available to assist you should you have any questions or need assistance in navigating our city government. Stay connected with us by following us on Facebook @CityofPharr!
Pharr is the only city in the region that has physically given residents their money back. Taking care of you is not only improving your fiscal situation, but also your quality of life. There have been many improvements to the quality of life for you and your family in a very short period of time. Some of them are:
- Partnered with P-SJ-A ISD to double the park acreage in the city
- Partnered with Vanguard Academy to build a Nature & Birding center
- Repaired and repaved all of the city’s roads that were in need
- Upgrading the Civic Center after serving Pharr for over 40 years
- Completed the first north-side park, a 5-acre special needs park
- Built the Development and Research Center, considered by some to be the South Pharr Library,
- Designated the first bike-route in Pharr,
- Implemented an After-School program at every participating school district in Pharr
- Building a new fire station for the first time in 20 years, servicing the industrial area and the Pharr International Bridge, and
- Building a Police Substation in the northern part of Pharr
Working together as a team, Pharr employees provided leadership in improving the City of Pharr. This leadership has culminated in many awards and designations, which only serve to recognize Pharr as a great place to live, work, and play. Pharr has been recognized and/or designated by several third parties for our leadership and responsible fiscal management. Some of them are as follows:
- Playful City USA
- Tree City USA
- Mayor’s Monarch Pledge Leadership Circle
- Scenic City
- Registrar’s Exemplary 5-Star Award
- Mother-Friendly worksite
- Distinguished Budget Presentation Award
- Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting
- A+ S&P rating
- Keep Texas Beautiful Affiliate
- Texas Comptroller Transparency Star, and
- All-America City
It is the mission of the City of Pharr to provide effective and fiscally responsible municipal services in a manner that promotes a higher standard of living for the community and a better quality of life.
Providing a high quality of life for you and your family is the core of our mission, to continually improve this city. We want you to move forward with us, to continue to have pride and confidence in your city. With the new Fiscal Year’s priorities, we can allow for the current and next generation of residents to benefit from the hard work of our employees and the leadership of our Mayor Dr. Ambrosio Hernandez and the City Commissioners.
Edward M Wylie, Deputy City Manager
Past Relevant Experience
City of Pharr – 1993 to Present
Previously Served As:
- Director of Development Services
- Assistant Director of Development Services
- Senior Planner
- Planner I
- Emergency Management Coordinator
Relevant Education and Specialized Training
- Bachelors of Business Administration, University of Texas Pan American; 2013 Major: Management Double Minor: Human Resources Management & Entrepreneurship
Anali Alanis, Assistant City Manager
Anali Alanis of Pharr, Texas, has more than ten years of experience in all levels of public sector human resources and organizational management. Alanis began her career in the City of Pharr as Human Resources Coordinator in 2007, serving in that capacity until 2015 when she was named Director of Human Resources. Alanis was promoted to Assistant City Manager in 2019.
Alanis earned an Associate of Business Administration Degree and a Bachelor of Applied Technology Management Degree from South Texas College, and obtained a Master’s Degree in Public Administration from the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley in 2016.
Alanis’ professional experience includes developing, implementing, maintaining and interpreting personnel policies and procedures; overseeing administration of recruitment, testing, enrollment, and orientation processes for new employees in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations; developing and maintaining performance review appraisals systems and procedures; conducting employee interviews and counseling; among other duties and responsibilities.
Alanis was featured as a highlighted alumna from her alma mater, UTRGV, in a video series entitled, “I am UTRGV,” for her tenacity and determination to continue her education while balancing her personal life and professional career as a public servant.
Alanis is Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certified, among other certifications, serves as Chair of the Rio Grande Valley Human Resources Consortium, and is a member of the National Society of Leadership and Success, the Society of Human Resources Management, and the Texas Municipal Human Resources Association.
Annie Alaniz Reeves, Assistant City Manager
Annie Alaniz Reeves of Pharr, Texas, has over 16 years’ experience in public service and administration. She earned a bachelor’s in communications with an emphasis in Public Relations from the University of Texas – San Antonio and a Juris Doctor degree from Saint Mary’s University School of Law.
Reeves’ professional experience includes:
- supervision of day-to-day operations of assigned City departments;
- oversight of human resource functions;
- analyzing, creating, and implementing operational policies and procedures;
- budget preparation;
- responding to and resolving staff and public inquiries, complaints, and issues;
- overseeing lease and compliance issues;
- drafting and reviewing leases and contracts;
- emergency management; and oversight of special projects.
Reeves is a member of the International City Management Association, Texas Municipal League, and the Society for Human Resource Management. Reeves has also been featured in Latina magazine in a series highlighting Latinas demonstrating grit and perseverance. In the series she was able to tell her story about overcoming life obstacles to achieve her goals.