To achieve orderly, efficient and environmentally sound subdivision of land by:
- Providing for the most orderly, efficient and economical development of its residential, commercial and industrial land uses and community facilities, to include transportation, water, sewerage, drainage, schools, parks, recreation and any other related element.
- Guiding and phasing any and all developments to maximize the utilization of existing and proposed public improvements.
- Guiding and regulating the financial impact of new development on municipal facilities, services and capabilities.
- Ensuring that the comprehensive and coordinated plans affected by the various land use controls of the city are not negated by disorganized, unplanned and uncoordinated development which would create an undue burden and hardship on the ability of the community to translate the development into reality.
- Establishing and maintaining municipal control over the character of development and the quality of community facilities and services.
- Aiding in establishing and maintaining a desirable degree of balance among the uses of land.
- Enhancing the community aesthetically and to preserve and improve the quality of life within the community.
- Promoting the health, safety, morals and general welfare of the community, and the safe, orderly and healthful development of the community.